Re: question about a cron job

Michael Sims wrote:
Erwin Kerk wrote:

The CRON daemon only refreshes it's job list after a job in the
current list is completed. Therefore, the CRON daemon won't notice the
"every-minute" job until 3.01 pm.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying above.  Can you provide a pointer to
documentation about this?  The man page for Vixie cron states in part:

"Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or
the modtime on /etc/crontab)  has changed,  and  if  it  has, cron will then examine
the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed.  Thus cron need not
be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified."

say you change the crontab (do a save) in minute 2:49pm, then the file will be checked and reloaded, by the time that thats complete it will be passed 3:00:00pm (or more precisely after the jobtrigger was run), maybe what was meant was; that the 'everyminute' job would therefore trigger for the first time when cron checks jobs on 3:01:00pm?

Vixie cron, at least, refreshes it's job list anytime a crontab is changed, and keeps that job list until the next change is made. Jobs should run according to their way they are scheduled, and shouldn't be affected by the order they are listed in the crontab or when other jobs are completed.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying (if so, my apologies) or perhaps
you are using a different flavor of cron that behaves differently.  I really only
have experience with Vixie cron, but I thought they all pretty much behaved the same
way...