Re: php editor

doh, I hit reply again by mistake.
(I'm sure TBird keeps moving the reply-all button when I'm not looking  :-)
----

William Stokes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm quite new with writing php code. I was considering of using some kind of

goog == good? me thinks yes! wonderful little freudian slip (i.e. maybe you should GOOGle for it ;-)

> php editor program to help with the syntax. Know any goog ones?

this depends on what you are looking for, some people prefer fully integrated IDE environments, other people (like me) often prefer standalone editors (e.g because its often easier to combine with existing tools you use etc):

I really like Textpad on windows (29 Bucks to register - which I think is worth it), its simple, fast, robust, lots of plugins/addons/etc, custom syntax highlighting, integrate your own tools (e.g. I have CTRL+4 setup to do a 'php -l' on the current file - 'php -l <file>' does syntax checking).

On *nix I tend to use 'nano' for quick stuff (I am slowly learning Vi, but its a tricky beast to control ;-) when in a shell.

On the IDE front - I'm actually really impressed with the Eclipse IDE, I keep firing it up and liking it more and more - its not PHP specific at all but has plenty of PHP related addons/customizations available for it, pretty amazing stuff + its available on both Windoze and Linux and its free :-)

At the end of the day once you get comfortable with PHP and you've memorized a bunch of the most used functions, you won't have much trouble writing it whatever tool you happen to have available!

hope you enjoy PHP as much as I do.