Re: Data Enryption

On Thursday 13 January 2005 01:55, Greg Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:09:08 +0100, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > I'm no expert on crypto (and never will be either! designing good crypto
> > is something best left to the very very very very best in terms of
> > computer science) but I think that the following function represents
> > very weak crypto -
>
> Feel free to not use it then..  geez.

No offence, but as you are a ZCE, this might lead people that that function is
useful and might actually use it. Notwithstanding the fact that it is an
extremely weak encryption, OP please note that it is pointless to be
encrypting/storing/decrypting data all on the same machine. And if the data
to be encrypted is anywhere near sensitive then using weak encryption is
worse than no encryption (no encryption doesn't waste CPU cycles and doesn't
give a false sense of security).