Global Postal

Is anybody aware of any existing world-wide data-collection effort of
postal codes in relation to geogrpahical coordinates (long/lat)?

Not unlike the commercial data sets only:
A) Open Source, Open Content (Commons Content?  Whatever.)
B) World-wide.

At the granularity of *JUST* postal code <-> long/lat

I'm *not* interested in niche database engines for geo-data on the scale
and scope of MapQuest et al, thank you very much.

Just:
country_code + postal_code <====> (long, lat)
in a one-to-one relationship, as crude as that might be.

K.I.S.S.

You put in your home-town, and I'll put in mine, and we'll all share, okay?

Assuming the answer is "No" is anybody interested in collaborating on such
a project with me and a colleague?

We're looking at a VERY simple distributed data network model, with all
source and content being OpenSource/CommonContent, and very simplistic
"access rules" for how you can build/share content with others.

It's 2005.

Shouldn't any web-site anywhere be able to plug in [a subset of] this data
and just run with it already?

Aren't there enough developers who have re-invented this wheel, and have
sufficient data they collected themselves (or could collect) to just build
an OPEN data set?

If a Little Guy like me needs world-wide data set, surely others also do.

Duh.  Did I mention we're coding this in PHP, so it *is* (somewhat)
on-topic to this list?

That said, just contact me off-list if you're interested.  Please include
specific skills/areas of development, and outline the scope of any dataset
for which YOU own copyrights.  No, we do *NOT* want to steal copyrighted
data.  Can you do CVS?  Write PHP code?  Have a server with some bandwidth
to spare?

Thanks.

--
Like Music?