Re: Re: php style guides

Jason Barnett wrote:
Tim Burgan wrote:

Hi everyone,

What 'rules' do you follow about styling/formatting your PHP code? Do you follow a guide that is available online?

<sacred_cow_warning>Please do not flame me here, different strokes for different folks!</sacred_cow_warning>

:-)

And that's fine. The main thing is: aim for consistency of your coding standards. That way when you look through an entire project it's easy to see what's going on.

thats probably the best advice so far!

Personally I don't mix and match HTML with my PHP code. I am extremely lazy and enjoy finding PHP code available that will do all of the echo'ing for HTML I want to build. The PEAR package HTML_Quickform is a

I am pretty good at PHP and I have tried using the HTML_Quickform package, I thought it was a nightmare. don't get me wrong the idea is great! It took me days to get a form working that ammounted to a very simple comment/email form, something that should take very little time as it is (and the idea of the package is to speed this kind of thing up).

AFAIKT HTML_Quickform excels at abstracting complex, multipage forms but its got a steep learning curve.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND BEGINNERS USING IT, first fully understand the concepts and problems that HTML_Quickform trys to address then give it a shot to see if it meets your need.

<I-DONT-CARE-IF-YOU-FLAME-ME>
That was my personal opinion, if it hurts your feels flame on,
you will be ignored ;-)
</I-DONT-CARE-IF-YOU-FLAME-ME>

good example here; it solves a common problem (building an MVC form) for me in a way that is faster than coding it all out by hand. That is, once you know how to use the package. (There are loads of other packages out there as well; this is but one example.)

But if you look at your HTML as a template (which it pretty much is) for your front end and you view PHP as your logic back-end (which it is) then mixing them together is fine. Separating presentation and logic is generally a good idea; this way you can easily change the way it looks

oh boy, talk about opening a can or worms :-)

without breaking functionality (or vice versa). Although if/when I do it this way I try to make it pretty obvious what I'm trying to accomplish.

<head><?php include 'functions.php'; ?></head>
  <h1><?php getHeader1(); ?></h1>
  <h2>Hello <?php getUserName(); ?>!  How are you doing this fine day?</h2>

that is a nice example of using well named functions (goes for classes,vars,constants,etc as well) to make your code transparent