Re: long running page on apache 2

Bret Hughes wrote:
> As I begin to write this I wonder if this really an apache issue but
> will ask here to see if anyone has some idea.
>
> We have a php interface to our system running apache 2 on fedora 1 box.
> One page calls a script that does a system() call on a script that runs
> for several minutes.  The issue is that no other calls to the server
> will return from the client until the script returns.  I like the

>From the *same* browser?

Cuz, like, some browsers only allow one connection at a time, others limit
it to 4, some let you configure it, some don't...

Check your browser settings or try a different browser to access other
content while the first browser plugs away at the slow stuff.

You can also throw something like Apache Benchmark at your server to see
if the children are behaving.  It should be pretty apparent if things are
out of whack with that, I should think.

> ability to watch the progress of this script but is suppose I can send
> the output to a file and occasionally retrieve the contents of the file
> but that seems really inefficient.  If there is another way to have
> apache process additional requests, from the same client, that would be
> a good thing.  As far as  can tell, the same apache process is is used
> each time, but i am having trouble verifying that to my satisfaction.

Always seems to me like the same child will get used unless you actually
manage to get TWO requests through at the same time.

Presumably, this is more efficient, as it avoids having to page memory to
swap in another child.

> All work is done in https and there is extensive use of php sessions on
> the system if that makes a difference.

Shouldn't matter, I don't think.

--
Like Music?