long running page on apache 2

As I begin to write this I wonder if this really an apache issue but
will ask here to see if anyone has some idea.

We have a php interface to our system running apache 2 on fedora 1 box.
One page calls a script that does a system() call on a script that runs
for several minutes.  The issue is that no other calls to the server
will return from the client until the script returns.  I like the
ability to watch the progress of this script but is suppose I can send
the output to a file and occasionally retrieve the contents of the file
but that seems really inefficient.  If there is another way to have
apache process additional requests, from the same client, that would be
a good thing.  As far as  can tell, the same apache process is is used
each time, but i am having trouble verifying that to my satisfaction.

Any tips appreciated.

All work is done in https and there is extensive use of php sessions on
the system if that makes a difference.

Bret