From: Josh Whiting [mailto:jw-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 11:28 AM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Persistent PHP web application?

Dear list,

My web application (an online classifieds server) requires a set of
fairly large global arrays which contain vital information that most all
the page scripts rely upon for information such as the category list,
which fields belong to each category, and so on. Additionally, there are
a large number of function definitions (more than 13,000 lines of code
in all just for these global definitions).

These global arrays and functions never change between requests.
However, the PHP engine destroys and recreates them every time. After
having spent some serious time doing benchmarking (using Apache Bench),
I have found that this code takes at least 7ms to parse per request on
my dual Xeon 2.4ghz server (Zend Accelerator in use*). This seriously
cuts into my server's peak capacity, reducing it by more than half.

My question is: is there a way to define a global set of variables and
functions ONCE per Apache process, allowing each incoming hit to run a
handler function that runs within a persistent namespace? OR, is it
possible to create some form of shared variable and function namespace
that each script can tap?

AFAIK, mod_python, mod_perl, Java, etc. all allow you to create a
persistent, long-running application with hooks/handlers for individual
Apache requests. I'm surprised I haven't found a similar solution for
PHP.

In fact, according to my work in the past few days, if an application
has a large set of global functions and variable definitions, mod_python
FAR exceeds the performance of mod_php, even though Python code runs
significantly slower than PHP code (because in mod_python you can put
all these definitions in a module that is loaded only once per Apache
process).

The most promising prospect I've come across is FastCGI, which for Perl
and other languages, allows you to run a while loop that sits and
receives incoming requests (e.g. "while(FCGI::accept() >= 0) {..}").
However, the PHP/FastCGI modality seems to basically compare to mod_php:
every request still creates and destroys the entire application
(although the PHP interpreter itself does persist).

Essentially I want to go beyond a persistent PHP *interpreter* (mod_php,
PHP/FastCGI) and create a persistent PHP *application*... any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards,
J. Whiting

* - Please note that I am using the Zend Accelerator (on Redhat
Enterprise with Apache 1.3) to cache the intermediate compiled PHP code.
My benchmarks (7ms+) are after the dramatic speedup provided by the
accelerator. I wouldn't even bother benchmarking this without the
compiler cache, but it is clear that a compiler cache does not prevent
PHP from still having to run the (ableit precompiled) array and function
definition code itself.