Re: On large application organization [long and possibly boring]

Remember, I am old school. My first programming venture was in the 70's with FORTRAN, so all of you young bucks view programming differently than I do. I have a tendency to view things more from a C or C++ POV in

I am indeed a young buck... but now I find myself moving (backwards?) because I have a BASIC/PHP point of view... and now I want to learn more about C. Mostly I want enough knowledge of C so that I can at least go out and start building my own PHP extensions. I have George Schlossnagle's book which is *excellent* at describing the process for building a module... but it assumes a level of proficiency with C that I just don't have yet. :(

terms of construction at this stage. That is why the above mentioned MVC
model is comfortable to me.

We have kind of been doing top-down methodology for a few years with
PHP, but projects are becoming more complex as the corporate culture is
coming around to my way of understanding data and the manipulation of
the data (normalization was not in their vocabulary prior to my arrival
several years ago, imagine starting a large data driven company without
a programmer/database admin .... *shudder*). Therefore the MVC is
somewhat more fitting, but it can have a downside where code
maintainability comes into play.

Josh, I am interested in what you mean by "but there may be a better
overall approach."

I appreciate all of ya'll's insight on this and for setting me straight
on the includes/requires band wagon. I made some incorrect assumptions
(and didn't run the simple tests I could have run myself, as a couple of
you have pointed out) and I will now have to eat some crow in front of

Yeah, well, at least we didn't give you any of the RTFM crap haha

my more youthful programmers. My saving grace? They didn't prove me
wrong with these very simple tests either! (I know you're reading
this....I can hear you chuckling you SRB's...first one to say something
buys lunch)

Byte me. ;)

-- Teach a person to fish...

Ask smart questions: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html