RE: On large application organization [long and possibly boring]

[snip]

> Otherwise, I'm curious as to why you're using a large switch, not that

> it's bad inherently IMHO, but there may be a better overall approach.
>
> /jw

I don't know why *he* wants to do it, but one useful example is the MVC
model (google "MVC phppatterns" if you're unfamiliar with the term).
For a given action he can include the class definitions he will need to
perform that action.

Jay, are you using PHP5?  Because if you are then I thought of something

else.  You can put each class into its own file and define your own
__autoload() function to include a file "just in time".  The main
downside to this is if you use someone else's code and they have also
defined their own __autoload() function then you get an error!  :(
[/snip]

We have not moved to 5 yet, but sounds closer to what I am looking for.
We will probably upgrade to 5 after we get two of our highest priority
projects are launched.

All of our projects are intranet applications for office use, so
sometimes efficiency questions are really moot as we use multi-processor
servers to deliver most of the goods. Occasionaly we will expose a web
interface to the public, but not typically.

Remember, I am old school. My first programming venture was in the 70's
with FORTRAN, so all of you young bucks view programming differently
than I do. I have a tendency to view things more from a C or C++ POV in
terms of construction at this stage. That is why the above mentioned MVC
model is comfortable to me.

We have kind of been doing top-down methodology for a few years with
PHP, but projects are becoming more complex as the corporate culture is
coming around to my way of understanding data and the manipulation of
the data (normalization was not in their vocabulary prior to my arrival
several years ago, imagine starting a large data driven company without
a programmer/database admin .... *shudder*). Therefore the MVC is
somewhat more fitting, but it can have a downside where code
maintainability comes into play.

Josh, I am interested in what you mean by "but there may be a better
overall approach."

I appreciate all of ya'll's insight on this and for setting me straight
on the includes/requires band wagon. I made some incorrect assumptions
(and didn't run the simple tests I could have run myself, as a couple of
you have pointed out) and I will now have to eat some crow in front of
my more youthful programmers. My saving grace? They didn't prove me
wrong with these very simple tests either! (I know you're reading
this....I can hear you chuckling you SRB's...first one to say something
buys lunch)