Re: Persistent PHP web application?

What you are talking about is opcode caching. While it certainly speeds things up, it can be done much faster. When you cache a file that contains a large PHP array definition, all you are caching are the instructions to create that array. On every request these instructions need to be loaded from shared memory and executed in order to recreate the array. This can be quite slow. What we are discussing here are ways to avoid recreating the array on every request which is quite different.

-Rasmus

Wow. I've learned things in this newsgroup, but today's discussion has been particularly enlightening. Thank you professors Rasmus, Richard and William. :)

-- Teach a person to fish...

Ask smart questions: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
PHP Manual: http://php.net/manual/
php-general archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&w=2