Re: migrating to PHP 5 + Apache 2 from PHP 4.3.8 + Apache 1.3.33.

Richard Lynch wrote:
> If you re-read the previous emails from Rasmus, you will find that these
> questions are already answered within them.
>
> So I'm going to go on at length here telling you (again) what you don't
> want to hear.

In my opinion, the answer "some libraries are thread safe, some are not" is
generic. The answer "the libraries in chapter VI. Function Reference of
official PHP Manual version 03-01-2005" is specific. Now I think I
understand the answer a bit better.

We did not understand if you were talking about the libraries we develop,
the libraries you develop, the libraries everybody else develops,
commercial libraries, whatever library you can think of. Not
all the libraries are indeed listed in the manual.

I apologise for being stupid and hard of understanding.

> If you can narrow your focus down a bit from *ALL* of Section VI to *just*
> the libraries you *really* need, you might get the answer you want to
> hear: "Oh, those are all thread-safe."

Here some more specific questions.

1)Is the core of php thread safe? That is, are the function which do not
need external libraries thread safe?

2)Here is the list of the function sets we need to use, from Section VI

Apache-specific Functions
Array Functions
Calendar Functions
Class/Object Functions
CURL, Client URL Library Functions
Cyrus IMAP administration Functions
Date and Time Functions
Direct IO Functions
Directory Functions
DOM Functions
DOM XML Functions
Error Handling and Logging Functions
File Alteration Monitor Functions
Filesystem Functions
Forms Data Format Functions
FTP Functions
Function Handling Functions
Gettext
GMP Functions
HTTP Functions
Image Functions
IMAP, POP3 and NNTP Functions
PHP / Java Integration
LDAP Functions
Mail Functions
Mathematical Functions
Multibyte String Functions
Mimetype Functions
Miscellaneous Functions
MySQL Functions
Improved MySQL Extension
Network Functions
Unified ODBC Functions
Object Aggregation/Composition Functions
Object property and method call overloading
OpenSSL Functions
Output Control Functions
PDF functions
PHP Options&Information
PostgreSQL Functions
Program Execution Functions
Session Handling Functions
Shared Memory Functions
SimpleXML functions
SQLite
Shockwave Flash Functions
Standard PHP Library (SPL) Functions
String Functions
URL Functions
Variable Functions
vpopmail Functions
XML Parser Functions
XML-RPC Functions
XSL functions
XSLT Functions

We would like to know if they are thread safe to a level which is suitable
for production environment.

3)Are there internal mechanisms in php for protecting thread safety (memory
leak, threads overwriting memory in use by another thread, blah, blah)?

We hope these questions are specific enough.
--
symbulos partners
-.-