Re: How to delete text with replies for archive pages

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 13:26, Will McCullough wrote:

> We are writing a web archive to a mail list server.
> We want to be able to delete the footer that comes
> through on every email so that we don't end up with
> those long footers that are 4x repeated sometimes like
> in the example here:

If everyone followed standards and long established conventions then life
would be a breeze. If the signature (ie your footer) is separated from the
body by '-- ' (note the space) then standards/conventions compliant clients
will automatically strip the signature when needed.

The PHP list does correctly use '-- ' when it appends its signature.
Unfortunately Yahoo doesn't (probably because it doesn't *want* its
signatures stripped so that it becomes advertising for them).

> So in this case we want to delete each one of those
> lines and the > in front of them.  What would be the
> best way to do this?

Look for the '-- ', otherwise good luck :)