Re: OT Re: [PHP] can I compile php source

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 04:51, Jason Barnett wrote:
> > So, seriously, if you don't feel like helping or you don't believe that
> > a message should be posted here because it's off topic or you don't
> > believe that a question was phrased properly, wouldn't it be better for
> > everyone if you just didn't respond? It'd certainly be easier.
>
> I can agree with you up until here.

Ditto ...

> If someone is consistently posting
> off-topic then it would be in the group's interest to keep them from
> posting those things, e.g. $$$ MAKE MONEY FAST!!! $$$ or Cheep \/i@gra

... but not for this reason. You're describing spam. One should never respond
to spam. The originator of the spam is not going to be reading your response.

The real reason is that, for example, some person posted an OT question, if
everyone followed the above advice and just ignored that post, the most
likely result would be that the same OT question would get reposted, again,
and again, until someone blinks and tells that person that their post was OT
and was therefore ignored. Now I know I would rather be told if I was doing
something wrong (and hopefully learn from that) rather than to be sent to
Coventry.