Re: Writing new code vs. re-writing someone else's code

Honestly, I think it does depend a lot on the language you are using.
>From my experience, most people who work in PHP tend to write more new
code than those who use COBOL.
[snip]
There are *so* many legacy COBOL applications though that, yeah, I think
a COBOL programmer will very rarely get to write anything new.
[/snip]
I agree.  I was reading something that like 80% of the code out there
(don't quote my numbers) is in COBOL and FORTRAN.

Anyways, to answer your question, I spend about 30% of my time writing
new code and about 70% of my time working on legacy code.  Of course,
often due to lacking comments most of the time spent with old code is
just trying to figure out what they were doing.  :)

-Chris