Error with system() when running convert

I'm using some system calls to do some image processing, mostly just
resize, compress, and a few other simple tasks on some jpgs. I'm using
convert, djpeg, cjpeg, mogrify, etc to accomplish this.

The issue I'm running into now is that I have a command that runs fine
from the command line, but not through system. It returns an error
code of 127, which wasn't helpful to me.

The actual command is to convert, "convert $img1 -negate $img2". If I
print the command, then copy and paste into a terminal, it works. It
doesn't work through php, though, and there is no output from convert,
it just fails silently.

I have two thoughts on the matter: the first was that it was
permissions based, but no matter how loose I make the permissions, it
still won't work. Besides, other commands have no such issues. The
second thought is that php is running out of memory, as perhaps the
convert command is very intensive? It doesn't seem right to me, but it
was mentioned in the comments on the php website, and I can't come up
with anything else. Has anyone run across error 127 from system, or
have any idea what's going on?

Thanks,
Jonathan