Re: Re: Good and free encoder for PHP5

Hello,

on 12/16/2004 01:27 AM Greg Donald said the following:
I have all kinds of old software that doesn't work anymore.
That is because you changed the environment on which it was working.

Exactly my point. I don't control when M$ depricates their operating systems. I don't control when my favorite Linux distro upgrades their glibc. You have to upgrade at some point or be vulnerable to the security issues that follow.

>>The point is that if you do not need to use the latest version, just >>stick to the one you have and works for you. > > Well, I'm not gonna run windows 95 just to play Afterlife.

The point is that old software versions that work on old environment versions do not need you to upgrade the environment version even the vendor deprecates the old version. While you think that newer versions will not have old bugs that probably were not affecting you, chances are that newer versions have newer bugs that may break your applications, especially if you upgrade right after those new versions are released.

What I am trying to tell you is that you need to use your brain before you make an upgrade, eventually leaving a reasonable amount of time since it was released because most bugs are only discovered when early adopters break their faces trying the just released versions. In the case of PHP 5, I do not recommend jumping to it before 1 year after 5.0.0 release. Then your upgrade risk will be much smaller.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/