Re[2]: Delivering large files via PHP (>300MB)

Hello rouvas,

r> Not to the web root, but to an arbitrary named on-the-fly created dir
r> protected with a *custom* (and different for each dir) .htaccess file (and
r> accompanying htpasswd entries). Then, there would be no single pass to share.

Yes this is a possibility for sure - as long as the actual file itself
can be shared out (symlink perhaps?) because I sure as heck don't want
to have to create a separate folder with a 300MB file in it for every
customer. We'd fill our hard drives within hours :)

r> (a) PHP is slower than Apache

Absolutely.

r> (b) Apache can cache the 1MB files, at least some of them, and serve them to
r> the next client

Good point. I would love to ease-up the strain on the servers somehow.
I spent some time today adding the ability for the client download app
to grab each chunk from a different server if needs be (we have three
file servers) which at least will distribute the load somewhat.
Your suggestions were appreciated, thank you.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde