Re: Delivering large files via PHP (>300MB)

[...snip...]

> RL> always see when you install software.
>
> That would lock us into a platform specific environment too :) You
> don't run an Install Shield web delivery system by executing the setup
> file on a Mac just because you're at work and can burn it to CD :) I
> was more interested in comments re: the PHP side of things anyway - is
> it better to be spitting out 1MB segments and then letting the process
> finish and Apache free-up that httpd session, or does it make no
> difference to PHP or memory load, etc and we can just blast out 300MB+
> files regardless.

Why don't you take the PHP out of the loop entirely?
Make a dir into the Apache area with a custom .htaccess
(with usernames/passwords, etc) and put the required files there.
Your app can download from there.
>From the thread I understood that you don't split the file into smaller
chunks, but instead server chunks from the same big file. This is bad
practice, as I've found out from personal experience. It is better to serve
small files as they finish earlier and free the server processes.
Also, this would allow users that already have other download accelerators
installed to grab the files.

Just my 0.02 euros...

-Stathis