Re[2]: Delivering large files via PHP (>300MB)

Hello Richard,

Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 12:02:19 AM, you wrote:

RL> This sounds an awful lot like various web installers.

Sure, there's nothing unique about the concept. The aim was to reduce
to load on the web server and make things a little easier for the end
user. You can code Install Shield to download from a site before
installing (which a lot of programs do), but it doesn't solve the
server side solution in this respect.

RL> It's likely that there are pre-existing applications "out there" to do the
RL> same thing as yours.

Yes, but not branded to my needs and I dare say not as compact either.

RL> They might even support interrupted downloads better, or have other
RL> features worth investigating.

The app I built supports interrupted downloads perfectly.

RL> It would be worth your time, maybe, to investigate them.  I'd suggest
RL> starting with the traditional installer software vendors whose name you
RL> always see when you install software.

That would lock us into a platform specific environment too :) You
don't run an Install Shield web delivery system by executing the setup
file on a Mac just because you're at work and can burn it to CD :) I
was more interested in comments re: the PHP side of things anyway - is
it better to be spitting out 1MB segments and then letting the process
finish and Apache free-up that httpd session, or does it make no
difference to PHP or memory load, etc and we can just blast out 300MB+
files regardless.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde