user password managment

Does anybody have any tips or links for creating a system for managing
user's passwords. I want to make it so that when a user is created, an
email is sent with a link that allows them to set their password. The
link should only work for a set amount of time. I have ideas for
implementing something, but I have a hunch tat there is some code
already out there for this. Does anybody know of any? Thanks!