Re: installing php 5.02 and Apache 2

On Monday 06 December 2004 21:31, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> I have installed Apache 2 under Fedora Core 2 and now I would like to
> install PHP 5.02 as a server module.
>
> I have downloaded and unpacked PHP 5.02, and I think that I need to run
> ./configure now but I don't know which parameters I need to add.
>
> I have added --prefix=dir --with-mysql=dir --with-curl

I hope you're not literally using 'dir', 'dir' would be where your library
files and headers are kept and in most cases it would be /usr, eg:

  --with-mysql=/usr

> But I want to add many other modules I might need. Do I need to specify the
> entire list of modules in the command line?

Yes. But only put it the ones that you really use. You can always go back and
recompile later if you find you need to add something.

> Or how can I create and choose
> a config file?

Doing the ./configure business *is* creating a config file, which will be used
by 'make' to actually compile the necessary bits.

If you find that you need to recompile at any time, just use phpinfo() to see
what the current ./configure settings are, then copy-and-paste it and
add/edit as required.

> And please tell me what option do I need to install the Apache 2 module.

If you followed the instructions in the manual it will install PHP as a module
for Apache.

> I have seen some parameters in the ./configure --help instructions for
> installing the module for Apache 2, but I saw that that module is only
> experimental. Isn't there a working module for PHP 5.02 and Apache 2?

Did you read the FAQ referred to in the manual?

> And do you know where the Apache 2 module is put after installing php? (in
> order to specify it in httpd.conf).

Again, following the instructions, in particular using:

  --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

will put everything in the right place.