RE: Page that checks if a user exists on a remote system

This is in reply to both Stefan and Richard,

I gave it some brief thought in the past, but brushed it off as "not as convenient". However, rethinking about it, it may actually be more secure. Hmmmm, darn it, now you have me thinking again. Security is a big concern for me. As it is now, the web user has the ability to sudo. But that user can only sudo to one other user, who is limited, and can only run 2 commands as that user. Sooo... while the web user is certainly limited, and the PHP script will be outside of the document root of the web server, and access to that script will be through an include on an SSL connection, there could still be something that I am not thinking of. Adding the people to a database first and having a script run by cron (or some other trigger) running on ServerB that accesses the database that is on ServerA would be a nice firewall and the web user would not need any access rights or the need to sudo. Ok, I am going to break this down and rethink my strategy. Thanks to everyone. Richard, I consider myself a highly security conscious person, but you are making me think more like a criminal, and that is good. Security is very important.

I will post back with my results.

Thanks,
--
Jonathan Duncan