Re: Newbie, project..

My advice is to pick a project that will be useful to you and ideally to some people you know, perhaps your friends or family. A little side project I just started is a wine log. I've been getting into wine lately and so have some of my friends. We have no way of tracking and rating what we have drank or comparing notes. Even if my friends don't use it, I know I will and get some value out of it. And if my taste for wine wanes, I could always change it to track beer, which I will always love. So go with something you have some passion about so your heart is in it.

My very first project was a football pool which I now run and is in it's 3rd year based on PHP/MySQL. Not the easiest project to tackle since it has a hard immovable completion deadline, the start of the football season. But it also has an assured user base who have to use it and are more than willing to express their opinions, not always in the nicest way. I use the football pool as my recurring project when I want to learn a new language. Previous versions had been written using FileMaker, Applescript (ouch!!!), shell scripts (egads!!), and Lasso.