Browsing while downloading?

Hello,

I have this problem and maybe smbdy can give me a hint.

I have a script which has to pack some server files into a tar created on
the fly and then output this archive to the browser via headers.

All is grea, the download works BUT, i am speaking of big archives, over 50M
and i noticed that while i am downloading i cannot browse anymore. I tried
the operation also via a opened window and it is the same. If i try to
click on the link or smth the browser does nothing. In the moment the
download finishes, the browser follows that clicked link and resumes it's
activity.

Any ideeas how can i keep browsing while dowloading?

Thanks

Adrian Zaharia