Re: transparant session propagation and headers

> If a client doen't accept cookies and transparant session propagation
> is enabled, links are changed to include the SID. But this is not the
> case while redirecting clients. This results in session loss unless you
> manually add the session id to the redirect url. Not really
> transparant...
>
> I was wondering if this is correct behavior or a bug in php.

Feature.

There's no way PHP can "know" if you are re-directing to something where
you want the sesssion propogated or not.

[soapbox]
Onee really shouldn't have *THAT* many redirects in one's code.

Redirects were designed as part of the HTTP protocol for documents which
*moved* from one Universal Resource Locater (URL) to another, to allow for
the fact that sometimes documents have to be moved, and that "Universal"
is not really really really Universal for all time.

Using Redirect as a programming construct, in place of if/else/require etc
is just Bad Programming.

I realize a zillion programmers do it.  I even was guilty of it myself in
my early days of PHP programming.  Because it worked.  But it really makes
code hard to read, hard to debug, and hard to follow in its logic.

If you are using header("Location: ") as an error-trapping mechanism, or
instead of if/else and a "require" to factor your code, re-think your
Design.

The hair you save may be your own.  Or it might be mine, and I ain't got
enough any more as it is. :-)
[/soapbox]

--
Like Music?