Re: apache2 & php stability

Anthony Gauda wrote:
I have read at various places on the web that Apache 2 and PHP running as a module isn't recommended for production sites. Does anyone here run PHP 4/5 and Apache2 in a high load production environment with success? If so, whats your configuration?

Take a look at the following: http://us2.php.net/install.unix.apache2 http://us2.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2

This might be where you're getting the notion that it's not recommended for production sites. However, the last paragraph in that FAQ states that using "the prefork mpm with Apache 2 to avoid the threading is possible."

Any RPM of Apache 2 on RedHat/Fedora systems uses the prefork mpm by default because these systems also ship with the PHP RPMs. I would imagine that many Apache 2 RPMs (or other package types) are configured similarly.

I have been running PHP using --with-apxs2 and Apache 2 in production environments without problems.

--
Ben Ramsey
Zend Certified Engineer