Re: Re: php 4 to 5

Travis Conway wrote:

Well, I look at other people's code sice I am new to the whole language. I have only been working with it for about a month and half now. I do have prior experience with languages such as ASP (both JScript and VBscript based). I am probably not going to upgrade now since my stuff "just works". I was just wondering what would be the main advantage.

I switched to PHP over a year ago, and decided that as I was just starting I'd work with PHP5 from day one. The production releases just about kept pace with what I had to ship ( couple of sites used RC without problems for a while ).
If you ARE just starting then while the volume of PHP4 code is nice, working clean with PHP5 is not a problem. All my stuff 'borrows' from PHP4 without any problem, and I am learning quickly how to switch to tidier PHP5 'rules'.
I actually bought a book to help - Advanced PHP Programming by George Schlossnagle - from which I've had to rewrite some of the stuff to dump the MySQL crap ;) but gives a good grounding in getting things right.

--
Lester Caine