RE: mysql query with exclude

Well
That was indeed what I was searching for but. If I read it out loud, I
think with this query I only check if the current user is still onlien
and not his conversation partner.

In the chat table is store the session_id's of both the chatters of the
conversation.
There is no way to tell if $thisuser is the user1_sessionid record or
user2_sessionid record. So I check them both.
After that I have all results where (user1_sessionid record = $thisuser
or user2_sessionid record = $thisuser) I need to get the other field.
In the first case the users of which the time needs to be checked is
user2_sessionid, in the second case user1_sessionid.

So something like:
select * from 	chat c1,
		chat_online c2
where
	UNIX_TIMESTAMP(c2.activity)>=$limit_time and
	c2.session_id = (c2.user1_sessionid if (c1.user1_sessionid =
$thisuser)) or (c2.user1_sessionid if(c1.user2_sessionid = $thisuser));

Can I do something like this?

UNIX_TIMESTAMP(activity)