Re: fedora core 3 mail() not working from web

The weirdest thing was that there was NO error message. Even though in the php.ini, I set the error reporting to E_ALL, I got no warnings, notices, or failures.

I removed the RPMs and compiled the sources and now they work... so I guess the problem was due to a incomplete installation of those RPMs off the Fedora Core 3 CDs...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Angelo Zanetti" <binc2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <Choi.Minuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 7:50 AM
Subject: Re: fedora core 3 mail() not working from web

Hi,

It could have something to do with your PHP.ini file??
Can you post the error message, as it will give us a better idea of
what could be wrong.

Angelo

"Minuk Choi" <Choi.Minuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> 11/26/2004 10:31:59 AM >>>
hey gang,

I have a fedora core 3, with standard PHP and MySQL included with the
distribution.

I'm having a rather odd problem.

the following script(mailTest.php)

<?PHP
$result = mail('me@xxxxxxxx', 'test subject', 'test message');

if (!$result)
   echo "FAILURE";
else
   echo "SUCCESS";
?>

does NOT work if I access it from the web

BUT

if I were to execute it as root on the Command prompt

php mailTest.php

It executes correctly and I get mail.

This feels like the apache user is lacking access over sendmail or
something... since as root I can execute the script from the CLI without
a problem, but from the web, I get a failure.

Can anyone shed a light as to what settings I need to tweak PHP so
mail() can work?

Thanks

-Minuk
Disclaimer
This e-mail transmission contains confidential information,
which is the property of the sender.
The information in this e-mail or attachments thereto is
intended for the attention and use only of the addressee.
Should you have received this e-mail in error, please delete
and destroy it and any attachments thereto immediately.
Under no circumstances will the Cape Technikon or the sender
of this e-mail be liable to any party for any direct, indirect,
special or other consequential damages for any use of this e-mail.
For the detailed e-mail disclaimer please refer to
http://www.ctech.ac.za/polic or call +27 (0)21 460 3911