Re: Lost Variables

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 04:52, Monique Verrier wrote:

> I am using the general strategy suggested by Jay (thanks, Jay) to process
> my form in another procedure.  It's listed below.  In my processStuff.php
> program, I use the following code:
>
> $attributes = array();
> $attributes = array_merge($attributes,$HTTP_POST_VARS, $HTTP_GET_VARS);
> extract($attributes, EXTR_PREFIX_SAME, "this");
>
> I want to load my numerous post variables into regular memory variables (or
> whatever the php nomenclature is) -- e.g. $_POST['action'] becomes $action.
> It doesn't seem to working according to the manual.

How is it not working? What does var_dump($attributes) show?

> I list my $HTTP_SESSION_VARS, there are none.

Is this related to the above? $HTTP_SESSION_VARS would normally be empty
unless you start a session and register some session variables.

> I would appreciate anyone taking the time to explain to me how this works.
> Either it's stupid or I'm stupid.  I'm figuring it's me.

1) Usually there is little point putting the request variables
($HTTP_POST_VARS, $HTTP_GET_VARS, $_GET, $_POST) into the local namespace.
Just use them directly as you have here:

> switch ($_POST['action']){
> case "Add Record":
> ...do stuff...

2) If you really must do (1) then instead of:

   extract($attributes, EXTR_PREFIX_SAME, "this");

you should probably use this:

   extract($attributes, EXTR_PREFIX_ALL, "this");

that way you'll know that variables prefixed with 'this' came from
$HTTP_POST_VARS, $HTTP_GET_VARS. BTW why are you processing $HTTP_GET_VARS?
You're using "POST" for your form.

3) To save confusion use only the new "superglobals" ($_POST, $_GET etc) OR
only the old, deprecated request variables ($HTTP_POST_VARS, $HTTP_GET_VARS).
Do not mix the two in the same code. See manual for details.