RE: PHP Supremacy...

[snip]
There's a Netcraft survey based graph at php.net that shows about 17
million PHP-powered sites.  And we don't need to make assumptions about
ASP either: PHP overtook classic in 2002 and ASP.Net powers fewer than 3
million sites.
[\snip]

Also remember that all you need to dev PHP is a text editor. I still do a
lot of editing in notepad and wordpad.

When you start doing .Net applications you need to get visual studio - which
is far from inexpensive.

PHP will be around for a LONG time because it's accessible. So many people
can use it and it easily crosses from dev to live environments - some of
which on different platforms.

So all the numbers aside, PHP will survive because so many people have the
ability to use it for whatever they can think of in virtually whatever task
they need it to fulfill. The PHP community isn't just a group of hardcore
advocates.

Hang around the boards for a few weeks and see how many people are first
time posters. The number is growing and doesn't take into account the people
that never make it here.