Re: Problem typing in PHP forms on Mac OS

Brent,

Declaring the DOCTYPE did it! I completely overlooked that. Thank you very much for your help.

Jeff

At 06:40 AM 11/17/2004, Brent Baisley wrote:
For the record, this is NOT a PHP problem. I have no problem on my Mac using Safari or FireFox, or even Camino .7. However, there is a problem using IE on the Mac. Which, if you have Mac users still using IE, you should tell them to cease and desist. It's a discontinued product. But, you may not be able to exert this amount of control.

The problem appears to be with the credit card number fields. I can enter data as long as I tab to the fields, but I can't click on them. When I do, I lose the cursor. My guess is that the problem is caused by you using the same id for all 4 credit number fields (id="cardnum"). id's are supposed to be unique and the validator should have flagged this.

My recommendation to you is fix EVERYTHING that the validator flags. It's the right thing to do and a good habit to get into. It will save you a lot of time in trying to troubleshoot problems like this. Second, download and use FireFox for testing your javascript and your page structure. Under the Tools menu there is an option for a Javascript Console which will show you anything wrong with your javascript code. There is also a DOM Inspector, which will help you troubleshoot the structure of your web page. On your javascript init() function you are not setting a default value for the block variable.

Most of the browsers on the Mac (and Linux) are adhering to internet standards, not to what will work in IE. Code to the standards and your web page will most likely just have cosmetic issues due to varying levels of support for CSS. There are a lot of things in your code that are not exactly wrong, but definitely not correct. You don't have a DOCTYPE declared (read up on it, it's important), this will affect how a browser will render your page and function. You don't specify which version of javascript you are coding to, that can affect how your javascript is run. You should declare a script block like this:
<script type="text/javascript" language="Javascript1.5">