Re[2]: PHP Supremacy...

Hello Trevor,

GT> Roughly 1/3 of the web servers on the internet these days run IIS
GT> Roughly 2/3 run Apache in some fashion

I know you said roughly, but it's less than 1/3 running IIS, quite
a bit less infact. The latest Nov. 2004 Netstat survey puts it at
well under a quarter (21.25% to be exact) with Apache at 67.77%

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/01/november_2004_web_server_survey.html

GT> Roughly 40-50% of the Apache guys were running PHP as their
GT> primary scripting language (at least for web authoring).

Ok, for the sake of argument let's assume it's 40%. I don't believe
for a second it is that high, but anyway.. that would be approx. 15.2
million sites running PHP.

GT> Assuming that 100% of the IIS guys run ASP or ASP.NET (which isn't
GT> a great assumption, but let's make it anyway). That'd put IIS +
GT> ASP at roughly 1/3 market penetration and Apache + PHP at roughly
GT> 1/3.

Ok, let's also assume that 100% of the IIS sites out there use ASP,
that's still "only" 11.9 million sites which doesn't give them an
equal market share in my books :)

The problem of course is that while all IIS hosted sites have the
ABILITY to use ASP, I would be utterly stunned if anywhere near half
of those actually did. Just in the same way that while all Apache
servers *could* run PHP if they wanted, I'd be amazed if all site
owners used it.

There are millions and millions of static HTML sites out there, I
don't think you can accurately gauge it on server software alone. I
know that you weren't trying to, but I'm just saying.

GT> ASP and ASP.NET are free, just like PHP.. If you already run MS
GT> servers. The good development tools might be another story,

It's the total cost of ownership though.

GT> but if you have Windows XP (Pro I believe), then you have IIS and
GT> can run ASP and maybe ASP.NET. If you have Windows 95 or Windows
GT> 98, you have Personal Web Server which will do ASP.

You can run ASP.NET on any PC capable of supporting the .NET
Framework.

Look at the number of IIS related security issues on Netcraft,
Bugtraq, etc. Even with a 20% market share it's still got more
holes than a piece of Swiss cheese, although I dare say the majority
of those are down to using Windows as the host OS in the first place.

I'm not trying to start that holy platform war here, I'm just saying
IIS could be the most awesome piece of coding ever, but it'll still
always fall foul to that which it sits upon.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde