RE: PHP Supremacy...

Thanks for the link.  Here's one relating to Yahoo's use of PHP:
http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/talks/yahoo-phpcon2002.htm

Also, out of curiosity I recently did a search trying to find some numbers comparing ASP usage to PHP usage.  Market dominance and penetration and such.

I didn't look too long and didn't find any GREAT sites with hard numbers, but here's some random tidbits I came across.  I don't have time to figure out which of the links I bookmarked I got the info from, so forgive the rough numbers and paraphrasing.

There seemed to be a 2003 survey of IT professionals (as well as another source or two) that seemed to indicate the following:

Roughly 1/3 of the web servers on the internet these days run IIS
Roughly 2/3 run Apache in some fashion

Ok, so I'm rounding a little.. There were a smattering of other web servers of course, but let's work with these numbers as an example.

Roughly 40-50% of the Apache guys were running PHP as their primary scripting language (at least for web authoring).

Assuming that 100% of the IIS guys run ASP or ASP.NET (which isn't a great assumption, but let's make it anyway).  That'd put IIS + ASP at roughly 1/3 market penetration and Apache + PHP at roughly 1/3.

When I think of Microsoft vs "Other", especially open source, I feel like that even if it's close, it's going to be a 60/40 or 70/30 sort of split in MS's favor, not a dead 50/50 sort of deal.  So these kind of stats are VERY encouraging for anyone who needs to make the argument to their boss regarding how popular PHP is, if it's going to be around for a while (see other responses for ammo on that argument, I agree with all of them so far) and if there are going to be people to support your PHP apps if you die, quit, get fired, join a monestary, etc.

There can't be that many Apache + PHP based servers without a corresponding number of developers.   There aren't 20 PHP developers doing all the work and 100,000 ASP developers doing the same amount of work in ASP.

There was another thread earlier this week though talking about justifying the use of PHP and another great point was brought up.  What do you use for your main servers currently... What do the other developers you possibly work with already know versus would have to learn, what other applications do you have an what languages are THEY written in, etc.  There are a lot more questions that need to be asked in order to justify PHP development.

If you have a bunch of .NET developers and already have some ASP.NET applications, then it might be more cost effective for you, a single person, to learn ASP.NET (I know, I'd hate to give up PHP too), then to have 5 other people learn PHP and then convert existing applications over to PHP, etc.

ASP and ASP.NET are free, just like PHP.. If you already run MS servers.  The good development tools might be another story, but if you have Windows XP (Pro I believe), then you have IIS and can run ASP and maybe ASP.NET.  If you have Windows 95 or Windows 98, you have Personal Web Server which will do ASP.

I think open source means a more guarenteed support base and backward compatibility compared ot MS's whim of the day deciding that things like J++ weren't viable to support, for example.  Sure, there are still J++ developers and user groups and such, but it only lasts so long before someone says "This is antiquated, we need to move to something else".  Sure, eventually most of us will have to port our PHP4 stuff to PHP5.... PHP changes too.. But it's less dramatic than going from J++ to C# or something.

Anyway, I'm babbling now.  Just some things to think about.

Keep fighting the good fight.  Keep asking the right questions.  Good luck.

-TG