Re: Is Perl faster than PHP?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:54:22 +0100, Merlin <news.groups@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> it came to my attention that most of the high traffic portals are using perl in
> the backend. Those sites do also apear to me to be very fast in comparison to
> most php sites. Are there any known performance comperissons between the two
> available? Or can one say that PHP or Perl is faster about x percent in general
> compared to the other one?

I don't know of any comparisons, but even if they exist, unless they
are very detailed about the kind of application that they built and
tested, I would be skeptical about drawing a meaningful conclusion.
The reason being that it is very difficult (impossible?) to say that
one language is faster than another when comparing applications
written in those languages. The speed of a high traffic site is more
dependent on where each application runs into a bottleneck and how
that is or isn't solved. Sometimes the bottleneck has nothing to do
with the application, but the network it is running on or something
else.

There are too many variables that affect the speed of a site to say
one language is faster than the other. Both languages can be used to
write fast, high traffic sites.

Brad