Re: Is Perl faster than PHP?

Since both Perl and PHP are scripting languages, I don't think you could definitively say one is faster than the other. First and foremost it's the talent of the coder that makes a program fast or slow. Perl has been around a lot longer and so the libraries (i.e. CPAN) are more refined and optimized. For instance, I would say Perl DBI is faster at accessing databases than PHP's PEAR. You don't have to use PEAR if you find the overhead too much. And you don't have to use DBI, but DBI is so mature I don't know why you wouldn't want to. You could also get "compilers" for both languages to speed up your site.

I've seen some really slow Perl sites and some really slow PHP sites. The learning curve for PHP is far easier than that for Perl, so you probably have many more people using PHP for their sites that aren't really that good at scripting. And how many of those slow PHP sites were generated from Dreamweaver? If you did extensive tests, I would say Perl would probably come out ahead. But that doesn't mean you can't create a PHP site that is really fast.

Sorry, I know I didn't answer your question.