Re: php.ini

Hello,

Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 8:17:27 AM, you wrote:

lpc> within apache's httpd.conf you can set which php DLL to use, but I cannot
lpc> see how php then knows which .ini file to work with? It seems to be
lpc> picking up the php.ini from a completely different directory somewhere, so
lpc> i am wondering if the zend installer sets some secret registry value that
lpc> the php.dll is looking for?

It doesn't use a registry setting, I can guarantee you that.

It uses whatever you have defined as your system paths. Open a command
prompt and type in "path" and have a look.

It will search these paths in order and then the local directory too.
I can almost guarantee you have your Windows system32 directory and
standard Windows directory in there already.

If you look in there, I'm very sure you'll find a php.ini file.

I use Zend 3.5 and Apache 1.3 locally too (XP and OSX). I have two
different Apache conf files, one for PHP4 and one for PHP5. Then in my
Windows directory I have two ini files - php4.ini and php5.ini along
with the required php DLLs (there are only 2, one per version, the
extensions remain in the source directory).

When I want to swap from PHP4 to 5 for development I have a small
batch script that copies the respective ini/conf file and restarts
Apache. Works nicely.

You can also set this up (via the path I mentioned above) so it gets
the DLLs from another location, maybe something like c:\php4, but
personally the above works for me, allows switching between the two
versions quickly and it's painless, so there's no reason to change it.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde