Re: Q re: php-5.0.2 ./configure --with-soap --with-openssl --with-tidy (copy)

Curt Zirzow wrote:

> * Thus wrote Bill McCuistion:
>> Q re: php-5.0.2 ./configure --with-soap --with-openssl --with-tidy
>>
>> Hello all.  Hoping for some direction with the above step.
>>
>> Have PHP-5.0.2 and can configure the soap and openssl options, but when I
>> add the tidy option, the operation stops with the following message.
>>
>>  --> checking for TIDY support... yes
>>  --> configure: error: Cannot find libtidy
>>
>> I have of course gotten the latest tidy source (1.1) from sourceforge,
>> but
>> don't understand what to do with it.   The rpm doen't seel to load the
>> libtidy as I was hoping it would.  Further to my confusion, the PHP docs
>> speak to using tidy 2.0 with PHP5, but can not locate any other refs to
>> tidy 2.x)
>
> I've never have used the rpm for tidy, but in general it should in
> theory install libtidy in either /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib so
> you'll need to configure php like:
>   ./configure --with-tidy=/usr
>   or
>   ./configure --with-tidy=/usr/local
>
> If that doesn't work, then the rpm may not have installed the
> libtidy.
>
> As for the tidy 2.x reference, that is referencing php's interface
> to tidy:
>
>   tidy 1.0: for php4.x
>   tidy 2.0: for php5.x
>
> Both tidy's use the same libtidy, it is just that 2.0 includes the
> new OO interface that PHP5 provides.
>
> Curt

Curt,
Thanks for the reply.  The rpm I found only contains tidy src files.

I seem to have the chicken and egg problem.  How do I make a libtidy that
PHP will be satisfied with?  I would prefer to use the PHP5 OO interface.

 Following is the command sequence showing my dilema...

[root@david tidy]# pwd
/usr/src/tidy

[root@david tidy]# rpm -i tidy-20030525-1.src.rpm
warning: user hany does not exist - using root
warning: group hany does not exist - using root
warning: user hany does not exist - using root
warning: group hany does not exist - using root
warning: user hany does not exist - using root
warning: group hany does not exist - using root

[root@david tidy]# ls
bin  package.xml  tidy  tidy-1.1  tidy-1.1.tar  tidy-20030525-1.src.rpm
tidy_docs.tar  tidy_linux_x86.tar

[root@david tidy]# tar -xvf tidy-1.1.tar

[root@david tidy]# cd tidy-1.1

[root@david tidy]# phipize

[root@david tidy-1.1]# ls
acinclude.m4    config.guess  config.nice   CREDITS          install-sh
Makefile.global   php_tidy.h  TODO
aclocal.m4      config.h.in   config.sub    doit.libtidy.sh  *.loT
Makefile.objects  README
autom4te.cache  config.log    configure     examples         ltmain.sh
missing           tests
build           config.m4     configure.in  include
Makefile.fragments  mkinstalldirs     tidy.c

[root@david tidy-1.1]# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-redhat-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking if compiler supports -R... no
checking if compiler supports -Wl,-rpath,... yes
checking for PHP prefix... /usr/local
checking for PHP includes... -I/usr/local/include/php
-I/usr/local/include/php/main -I/usr/local/include/php/Zend
-I/usr/local/include/php/TSRM
checking for PHP extension
directory... /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20040412
checking for re2c... exit 0;
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for TIDY support... yes, shared
configure: error: Cannot find libtidy

Perhaps I've gotten something in my system (besides myself) horribly
confused or am completely on the wrong path.