Re: Re: [PEAR-DEV] windows 98 support?

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 08:02, Rens Admiraal wrote:
> Helgi,
>
> quote:
> As a side note, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MS discount anymore
> support/updates to win98 sometime this year, thus making that OS even
> more unsecure, so maybe like I pointed out above, is too much work to
> support such legacy OS.
>
> Supporting an OS is also depending on how many people are still using it, don't you think?
> If I would even count how many times I still have to make full 800*600 support on my projects, and still having complaints that people can't see the complete screen, and have to scroll to much... There are still people using 640*480... And, isn't that old? So, win98 support looks useful to me...
>
> And, greg, sorry, I don't have it :-)

Hi,

Well, yes, but we're talking about servers here, not desktop users, also
in addition like I said before, those are all my personal thoughts, not
something that should be done rather then something else, but like I
raised before, we do have to keep in mind that sometimes laying of some
support is needed if that keeps the code simpler and more maintainable,
thus less time has to be spent on it, like for example, we could
*probably* (I'm saying this though with out being sure) make PEAR
support also PHP's lower then 4.2.0 with some extra code, thus more
maintenance has to be done and thus the code becomes more complex, but
it all comes down to the person that will maintain this all, so greg
it's mostly up to you IMHO since I guess you'll maintain this.

</personal_rant>

Regards
Helgi