Re: mysql and the PHP transition from 4 to 5.

* Thus wrote Nick Lane-Smith:
> Hello php-list,
>
> I'm curious to why default mysql support was dropped from PHP 5?

It was  due to the changes in the mysql license. Due to the changes
the PHP Team decided not to enable mysql by default.  MySQL had
modified there license but it was too late, the decision to leave
mysql out of default installation was already decided.

> The separation seems to have been done for license issues with the
> mysql library.
> PHP 4.X uses a libmysql with an abandoned copyright for mysql access.
>
> Would the libmysql still work with PHP 5, or is PHP 5 dependent on the
> Mysql AB mysqlclient library?

You can compile php with any MySQL version of your choice, the
license issues above only affected PHP's ability to bundle the
package with MySQL support included by default.

You just need to include in your unix configure script:

  --with-mysql=/install/dir/of/mysql

Or

Simply uncomment:

  ;extension=mysql.dll