compileproblem gd into php4.3.9 under gentoo

For the definition of some needed graphical functions,
I depend on gd compiled into php.
As I am using a linux gentoo2.6.8.1 box, I use portage for that kind.
I emerge'd php again, but with the USE-Flag +gd set, this seemed to work.

But still the function php_info(); shows that php was compiled without gd
support.

What I did:
emerge gd
emerge php (+gd)
emerge apache

do I need the flag gd-external as well or what am I doing wrong?
I tried to find a extension entry in the php.ini but all I could find was
a .dll entry, and under linux, this can't be the right thing :)

Well, I thank you for your consideration and hope to having written it
clearly enough(in a few words: gd doesn't get compiled into php, why?) and
I'm thankful for every hint

greets
Patrick

--