From: John Nichel [mailto:jnichel@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:09 PM
To: PHP List
Subject: Re:  Securing Servers

Stephen Craton wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, and forgive me if I top post, just a bad habit. I
> think my original intention has been misunderstood. :)
>
> I don't plan on starting my own hosting business at all, I just want to
> allow access to my own personal Apache server to show the clients I am
> working for the work I've completed on their project so far. Kind of like
> showing the progress of the blueprints of a house. I don't plan to host
the
> end result, just like the constructor doesn't plan to build the house on
top
> of the blue prints. I seem to like analogies tonight. :)
>
> I have a cable connection and a custom built PC, with a hullava lot of RAM
> and processing power (1gb and 3ghz). Basically, I just want to know how to
> secure the server so that they don't get access to other computers within
> our network. :)

Well, outside of the topics discussed on these pages (you are using
Apache, right?  I hope?)...

http://us4.php.net/manual/en/security.php
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/security_tips.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Security.html

Securing the rest of your box would be too off topic (the MySQL and
Apache part are OT too, but we've changed this list to the
PHP/MySQL/Apache list ;)

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush