Re: Securing Servers

Stephen Craton wrote:
I agree on the whole MS opinions bit. I also agree about it being off topic,
and meant to open it by saying that, but I erased it in fear PHP would
consider it OT and become all mad and whatnot.

The only problem with the shared hosting idea is that I would have to take
time to upload and setup the MySQL tables all over again when I want to
update my work.

On the other hand, if I locally host it, I just have to link them to my IP
or domain pointing to my IP and they can see it straight off my machine.

Any other suggestions?

Not to start a flame war, but most on this list who will place the value of security of one OS over another do so because they've worked with the OS' they have opinions on. Bias doesn't really come into play.

With that aside, before you decide to take on the task of hosting out of your house (office?), security isn't really the first question you should ask yourself.

First, do you have the pipe to support it? There may be some broadband providers out there who will guarantee a certain upstream, but I've yet to see one. Even with business plans all the ones I know of will tell you that you _can_ get up to xxx kb/s. Take it from someone who hosted just three sites off a cable connection, the bandwidth just isn't there. Chances are, you're going to need a T-1, or at least a fractional. Are you willing to spend that type of money?

Second, are you going to provide email with this hosting? Do you have the experience with a MTA for multiple domains?

Third, hardware. We're not talking about a Dell desktop PC here. More up front cash.

Fourth, time. Running your own hosting is a pain in the neck. Where I work now, I wear the hats of both programmer and sysadmin, and managing our domains, takes up a good portion of my time.

I understand where you're coming from...wanting to do it yourself, have it locally and all, but unless you're planning on making this a full time business, it's really not worth it. Even if you want it to be _your_ box, co-location is probably a better solution...takes a lot of the worry out of your hands. Personally, I wouldn't even do that though. I'd look at a place like JTL or Rackspace, and just go with their managed hosting...you have total control of the box.

Not that I went OT here. ;)

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush