MYSQL_VERSION_ID?

I've a Redhat9 and installed MySQL 4.0 from source and Apache 1.3 from source.

I also downloaded the PHP5.0.2 source and attempted to compile it.

Apache and MySQL are installed successfully, as they all work without any noticeable errors.

This is how I configured PHP5

./configure --prefix=/PHP5 --with-mysql=<mysql path>

when I ran "make", I got an error.  It was regarding one of the functions, make tried to compile mysql_create_db and mysql_drop_db(functions that are no longer provided by the MySQL4.0 client).

When I checked the source code(the c and h files), there was this line,

#if MYSQL_VERSION_ID < 40000

which was enclosed in the declaration of the function prototypes

PHP_FUNCTION(mysql_create_db)
PHP_FUNCTION(mysql_drop_db)

in php_mysql.h

and also around the implemention of the functions

PHP_FUNCTION(mysql_create_db)
PHP_FUNCTION(mysql_drop_db)

in php_mysql.c

The problem I seem to have is that MYSQL_VERSION_ID is never defined?  Perhaps this is due to the fact that I compiled MySQL 4.0 from source and may have skipped a step... but where is MYSQL_VERSION_ID supposed to be defined or retrieved?

typing

echo $MYSQL_VERSION_ID

in bash got me a blank line.

I managed to comment out those functions in the header and the c files and "make" and "make install" ran flawlessly.

Could this be a bug?

-Mark