Securing Servers

Hello,

I'm in the process of hooking up my own personal web server for use by
certain clients to view the progress on work I'm doing for them. However,
I'm on a shared network that is behind a firewall and some computers on the
network need to stay secure as possible. I've heard that if you gain access
to one computer, the whole thing is vulnerable.

I've going to be running Apache with PHP on my Windows box that has
antivirus all set up and whatnot. My question comes in terms of port
security. Since I'll be having the port open for Apache, I want to make sure
nothing naughty gets through the port. What should I do to secure it to the
best ability? Is there any special firewall I can use or any special tricks
I should do? How should I configure Apache and PHP in order to keep it as
secure as possible but still functional?

I have considered using Linux, but until I can get myself a separate
computer box to dedicate to the server, I'm stuck with using my personal
computer as the server as well and all my programs/games need Windows.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen Craton