RE: Session handlers

I have used MySQL sessions and session handler routines to perform the
following;

1.  I was able to set different session timeouts for different applications
as long as each application used a different session table.  The garbage
cleanup routines could be programmed to ignore the global session limit and
use different session life times for the different tables (a different set
of routines for each application).

2.  I was able to use session table to look over site users shoulders (so to
speak) and by watching key session variables was able to monitor who was
using different areas of the site.  Obviously this kind of thing would be
totally unmanageable for a public site, but on an intranet, I had phone
numbers for all users and when something got hung, I was able to identify
the user and give them a call while the problem was occurring.  I also used
this over the shoulder technique once to identify a hacker, and kicked him
off the site by deleting his session entry, forcing him to logon again,
course his password had been changed, and this only slowed him down for a
little while, but it sure felt good.

I'm sure there are many other uses, so I'll be watching this thread.

Warren Vail
(415) 667-0240
SF211-07-434