how to ubuntu install of locally compiled php 5.3.29 with apache2 without pear

Hi;

  We have a locally compiled 5.3.29 version of php to be installed as
a deb file on a Ubuntu 14.04 server.  When we request the installation
of apache2 via apt-get, php-pear and pear-channels appear as required
dependencies.  The version of php we have already has pear as part of
it.  The installation fails when /usr/bin/peardev fails to be
overwritten.

How do I tell apt-get not to install php-pear?  Do I have to do
download only and then run dpkg -i on all of the other packages?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott