From: keith@karsites.localdomain [mailto:keith@karsites.localdomain] On
Behalf Of Keith Roberts
Sent: Sunday, 9 September 2012 04:15
Cc: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  php parse error after installation

On Sat, 8 Sep 2012, Daniel Brown wrote:

> To: kevin <klane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  php parse error after installation
>
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM, kevin <klane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>>                 I have exhausted all methods I can find to fix this
>> problem ,which is from the following php code from php 5 for dummies
>> book, which I doubled checked as well from their website,

>> <head>
>>
>> <title>PHP Test</title>
>>
>> </head>

>> <?php
>>
>> echo "<p>This is a PHP line</p>";
>
>    Note the special quotes you're using here --- that's why.  PHP
> doesn't understand fancy quotes, only:
>
>        Single-quotes (  '  ), which PHP parses as a literal string.
>        Double-quotes (  "  ), which PHP parses as a string to be
> interpreted (such as the translation of variables).
>        Backticks (  `  ), which PHP uses to execute command-line code
> (if permitted by system configuration).
>
>    Change your quotes to either single or double quotes and your
> problems should vanish.

Well spotted Daniel.

I was just gonna say use this instead:

<head>
<title>php-info</title>
</head>

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with TMDA
[http://tmda.net]