Upgrading to PHP 5.2, MySQL no longer bundled

I'm trying to upgrade to PHP 5.2 on a Linux machine (RedHat). For the "./configure" step, I copied the configure command exactly as it appears in the results of "php -i". When I run it in the new installation folder, I get a message telling me that the program can't find the MySQL header files in the location specified, and warns me that MySQL is no longer bundled with PHP. (The location specified is "/usr".)

I've looked around on the Internet, and apparently one key file is "mysql.h". Indeed, there is no such file under /usr/include/, though there are tons of other header files. I used "find" to locate the file, and it's nowhere on the server. (I didn't setup the server, the hosting company did that.) I guess the header files don't exist if MySQL comes bundled with the server, or something like that? I'm not sure. My server is running MySQL 5.0.45.

Some have suggested that, rather than re-installing MySQL (ugh), you simply run this command: "yum install mysql-devel". When I do that, the program analyzes my system and tells me it needs to update two packages: "mysql" and "mysql-server". I don't like the sound of that. I don't want to change anything to do with MySQL, I just want my new version of PHP to work with it. What should I do?